Saturday, December 10, 2011

11-12-10 Kaena Point North Parking Lot Lunar Eclipse

Earlier last evening I went to hear a lecture on astronomy & photography with  Jennifer Woo the featured speaker.  She provided many good tips although I sometimes had trouble following her rapid delivery.

With a head full of information I joined a group from OPMUG to try and photograph the last lunar eclipse of the year.  The meetup was scheduled to begin at 1am in the parking lot the hikers use for the Kaena Point North hike.  Turnout surprised me...17 people joined me!

I knew better but I decided to shoot my older Olympus E500 because it has the longest lens I own, a 40 - 150 mm.  Not great but certainly (at least in my mind) better than 50 mm.  Mistake, not very fast glass and the camera doesn't necessarily perform well in low light. 

In my opinion these were my "best" shots.




On these next 3 shots I had a hard time deciding which treatment I like best.


This blue is because I changed the white balance to Florescence, I like it as much as I do the black and white.  The mono chromatic works for me because there's so little detail in this image. 


Here's what color does to the image.  I didn't do too much to this.


My moon shot...sad yeah :-(.  Also I think I had some "ghost" flare issues with my moon shots.



Once again couldn't decide which treatment I like best.  The black & white is interesting.


This is what the image looks like if I leave it as a color image.


No comments: