Friday, December 3, 2010

INSULTS GLORIOUS INSULTS


Insults from an era before the English language got boiled down to four letter words...

-The exchange between Churchill and Lady Astor: 
She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." 
He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."
 
-A Member of Parliament to Disraeli: 
"Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease." 
"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."
 
-"He had delusions of adequacy." 
- Walter Kerr
 
-"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." 
- Winston Churchill
 
-"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." 
- Clarence Darrow
 
-"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." 
- William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).
 
-"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book.  I'll waste no time reading it." 
- Moses Hadas
 
-"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." 
- Mark Twain
 
-"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." 
- Oscar Wilde
 
-"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play.  Bring a friend... if you have one." 
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill. 
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." 
- Winston Churchill, in response.
 
-"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." 
- Stephen Bishop
 
-"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." 
- John Bright
 
-"I've just learned about his illness.  Let's hope it's nothing trivial" 
- Irvin S. Cobb
 
-"He is not only dull himself.  He is the cause of dullness in others." 
- Samuel Johnson
 
-"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." 
- Paul Keating
 
-"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." 
- Charles, Count Talleyrand
 
-"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." 
- Forrest Tucker
 
-"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" 
- Mark Twain
 
-"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork" 
- Mae West
 
-"Some cause happiness wherever they go.  Others, whenever they go." 
- Oscar Wilde
 
-"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." 
- Andrew Lang
 
-"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." 
- Billy Wilder
 
-"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.  But this wasn't it." 
- Groucho Marx.
 
- Evelyn Waugh on Randolph Churchill who was recovering from having a non-malignant tumour removed surgically: 
"What a marvel is modern medicine that it could find the only part of him that wasn't malignant and remove it."

No comments: