Saturday, July 9, 2011

11-07-09 United Fishing Agency Fish Auction w/HPS & Downtown w/EOH


Got up early this morning, 3am, so I could join the good folks with the Hawaii Photographic Society and take some pictures at the United Fishing Agency fish auction.  Today was only longliners so there were no bottom fish in the catch.  Instead the auction consisted primarily of Yellowfin Tuna, Marlin, Ono (Wahoo), Opah (Moonfish), Mahi Mahi and Aku.  Not a lot of color, with the execption of the Opah and Mahi Mahi.  



They cut a small section tail to show the buyers the color of the meat.  Based on that color the buyers make their own determination as to the quality and freshness of the fish.


After awhile I got bored and went outside to take a walk around the docks. 



When I returned from the docks I heard one of the workers remark that one fish sold for $4,000.  Wow!  To bad I couldn't get a picture of that fish.

After some breakfast and coffee at Nico's I joined up with the Eyes of Hawaii group for a downtown walkabout and photo shoot.



Here's part of the crew at the state library.

No comments: