Wednesday, November 21, 2012

12-11-12 IWSSB Nimitz Beach Sunset & Milky Way

On Veteran's Day Brandon and I joined Moose, Henry and Juro at Nimitz Beach to photograph the sunset and make yet another attempt at shooting the Milky Way...again no such luck.  This despite the fact that Juro loaned me the use of his 14-28mm f/2.8 Nikkor Lens.  I am still have a very difficult time working with manual focus and getting a reasonably sharp image.  But still, I had fun and was pleased with some of my pictures.



On the Honolulu side of the jetty is a small section of reef, acting as a breakwater, close to shore.  I usually get nice pictures of the water as it runs across the reef and then tumbles back onto the beach.


Hard to tell but that's Brandon on the left and Moose ten Henry on the right.


Moose and Henry conferring. 


Looking out towards Barbers Point.





An airplane, just before banking, for the final approach to Honolulu International Airport.


Looking back to the east.  That's Juro setting up his shot.  Any ideas as to the name of the ? mark star cluster in the upper middle portion of this image?


The light on the left come from a tank that is unloading oil to the refinery at Barbers Point.  There is a platform out there that they hook up to and begin pumping.  I brighter light in the sky is an airplane coming in to Honolulu International Airport.

3 comments:

Vladimir Khruschev said...

The prominent star cluster is called the Pleiades.

Vladimir Khruschev said...

The star cluster there is called the Pleiades.

pcsty said...

Thank you so much for answering my question. Not knowing the correct name I was about to resort to calling it the Question Mark Constellation.