Monday, August 27, 2012

12-08-26 Kronick Ohana Nakoa Trail Kahana Valley

Today's hike with my good buddies of the Kronick Ohana proved to be very interesting.  To begin with as I was pulling into Kahana Valley State Park there were two Police cars in front of me and a 3rd pulled in behind me...trapped with blue lights flashing.  But it wasn't me they wanted...phew! 

I pulled into a parking space to meet up with the gang in the park office's parking lot before heading up to the point that we would leave our cars.  As I parked to begin the hike I noticed at least two other groups that would be hiking today as well.  So it was going to be pretty crowded on the trail.

The amount of people on the trail may have been part of the reason that our fearless leader chose to do the loop hike in reverse.



The first group shot


Let's try that again


It's a mushroom condominium.







The first stream crossing, the smart ones removed their shoes and socks to keep them dry.


Pig hunters and their dogs.





The pig hunters dogs were chasing a wild pig so for our safety we waited on the trail.


And waited...at one point we thought the pig had doubled back and was headed towards us.  Everyone was looking for a tree to climb.


 The mushrooms have such pretty coloration.


Ye olde swimming hole


Our second and final stream crossing.






Here's the pig that they caught and killed.


The end of the hike.   The treat for the day would be Poi Malasadas...mmmmmmmm good!


An abandoned picnic area in the park.


As I was driving out, I came across two horses on the side of the road.  I assumed they were both tied up.  So I stopped rolled down my window and began taking pictures.



This horse started walking towards me as I took pictures.  I figured the rope would stop her well before she got to me.


Boy was I wrong, but she really enjoyed my scratching her under her chin.  In the end I had to push her head back out of the window, roll it up and slowly drive away.


I think I've found a new place for sunrises.

 

No comments: